Internal Training and Education>>what's your opinion?
I can’t speak for juvinille corrections but in the adult system here inmates are indeed “wards” of the state. Now an adult inmate who is found able to make his own decisions can refuse medical treatment and sign a form stating they willingly did so. This does not apply where life saving action is needed. A DNR order would be needed to deny care in that situation. ...
Correctional Officers – Posturing By Carl ToersBijns, former deputy warden, ASPC Eyman, Florence AZ
Correctional officers hardly ever carry guns and batons to enforce the rules and regulations inside the penitentiary thus have to use the power of persuasion to gain compliance most of the time. One can almost predict that since there is a necessity for enforcement of such rules, the need to use force may be imminent in some cases. This doesn’t always have to be the way if you posture yourself properly and gain compliance through the words, body language and behaviors projected. ...
Also this week:
- December – Ethics and Heroes – Coverage of Ethics issues and stories of heroes in corrections [Please send your articles/stories to firstname.lastname@example.org]
Detention Deputy Trainee
Major Duties (Not limited to the following): -Providing direct and remote supervision of inmates within housing and other areas of a jail, a courthouse complex, or secure perimeter as assigned to maintain a safe and secure environment. -Conducting frequent security checks for evidence of unauthorized activities and infractions of rules, responds to situations, and documents accordingly...
full job posting
- Dec 16–17 2013 - 2013 Annual Models for Change National Conference - Washington, D.C.
- Jan 31-Feb 5, 2014 – 2014 American Correctional Association- Winter Conference- Tampa, Florida
- Feb 21-23, 2014 – Southern States Correctional Association Mid Winter Training Conference- Savannah, Georgia
- Apr 5-8, 2014 – Spring Conference on Correctional Health Care- Atlanta, GA
- Apr 10-12, 2014 – 2014 Mental Health in Corrections Conference- Springfield, MO
- Apr 23-26, 2014 – NAAWS 2014 Training Conference- Memphis, TN
- Apr 27-30, 2014 – American Jail Association’s 33rd Annual Training Conference & Jail Expo- Dallas, TX
- Jun 11-14, 2014 – 2014 MASCA 76th Annual Conference - Washington, D.C.
- Jul 18-19, 2014 – Correctional Health Care Leadership Institutes - Denver, CO
- Jul 20-21, 2014 – Correctional Mental Health Care Conference - Denver, CO
- Oct 18-22, 2014 – National Conference on Correctional Health Care - Las Vegas, NV
quote of the week
The heart’s memory eliminates the bad and magnifies the good; and thanks to this artifice we manage to endure the burdens of the past.
— Gabriel García Marquez